What is an
Minimizes the use of renewable and non-renewable resources. (i.e. water, organic materials, lumber, concrete, fossil fuels)
Landscape design which is in tune with the local environment and which utilize each sites own unique characteristics for maximum form and function
Permaculture practices combined with sustainable construction methods drastically reduces waste and pollution entering our environment
Ecological landscaping and permaculture strategies provide habitat for increased biodiversity. Bacteria to trees, fungi to birds; diversity creates stability
Ecological landscapers utilize the
principle of Re-design, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
We support the Butte Environmental Council for its years of dedication and advocacy for the healthy stewardship of our great county. Thank you BEC!
Gaia Creations Ecological Landscaping & Permaculture Solutions
The 4 R's of an ecological landscape
- Energy efficiency with appropriate placement of plants and structures
- Water conservation with rainwater harvesting elements and greywater systems
- Stormwater runoff prevention with permeable driveways, hardscapes and swales
- Addition of food and timber producing plants for increased sufficiency
- Water consumption by installing drip irrigation systems and Smart controllers
- Pollution by using organic fertilizers and IPM methods of pest control
- Need for material transportation by buying local eco-friendly landscape products
- Concrete from broken up driveways for pathways or raised garden beds
- Wood from old structures for arbors, trellises & pergolas
- Plants from the garden when re-designing for efficiency by placing in better locations
- Rainwater by storage barrels and cisterns
- Sprinkler parts, PVC pipe, bender board, bricks... AND MORE!
- Plastic materials like patio furniture, plant pots and PVC pipe (though PVC is harmful in any of its 'life stages')
- Pruned healthy limbs from trees for fresh arbor chips (neighborhood shredding party!)
- Hardware and metal used in any project
- Noxious weeds, diseased plants, and wood materials not kept on site to local green waste facilities
- ALL organic materials (carbon)!!
PERMACULTURE: for information about Permaculture design and consultations or if you'd like to take a course click here!
- Right plant. Right place. What plants should (or should not) be in your landscape? Example: We live in a Mediterranean climate, are your plants suitable for hot dry summers and moderately wet winters?
- Are there micro-climates your landscape provides? (generally around your home the temperature will be warmer than further out in the landscape)
- How is the grade or slope to your landscape? Does water flow through the landscape (infiltrate) rather than pooling on patios or running off into streets?
- Are there many structures on your property (house, garage, shed, gazebo etc)? In which direction do they face? Are there rainwater catchment systems on such buildings??
- How well is your irrigation holding up and how efficient is it (for your pocketbook and the local water table)? Do you have an irrigation system? Is there a need for one?
- Is your soil in good condition? Is your soil ALIVE?
- What do you do with the leaves that fall every Autumn and the prunings from your trees and shrubs? Do you compost?
- Are there pest issues or diseases present? Do you see beneficial insects in the landscape? Is there biodiversity in your landscape?
- Do the plants and trees in your landscape serve more than one function? Example: Do your plants and trees offer shade for your home, food for wild birds, nectar for bees and butterflies, wood or kindling for fires or vegetables, fruits and nuts for your family?
- And most importantly, how is the over-all HEALTH of your landscape? Do you feel connected to Nature as you meander through your gardens?
Here are just some of the many questions we consider
vital to you and your ecological landscape…
Did you know? Graywater regulations changed in California!
Single use systems (i.e. laundry to landscape) are allowed without a permit!
YOU'RE WELCOME TO TRANSLATE THIS PAGE
© Gaia Creations 2017 * PO Box 3358 Chico, CA 95927 * 530-321-9715 / 530-828-6390